Three Greenwood Village office workers experience burning eyes and throats after exposure to chemical sometimes used in fireworks

A court officer places handcuffs on the wrists of former NFL player Aaron Hernandez after the guilty verdict was read during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River
A court officer places handcuffs on the wrists of former NFL player Aaron Hernandez after the guilty verdict was read during his murder trial at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts, April 15, 2015. Hernandez, 25, a former tight end for the New England Patriots, is convicted of fatally shooting semiprofessional football player Odin Lloyd in an industrial park near Hernandez's Massachusetts home in June 2013. REUTERS/Dominick Reuter

South Metro Fire Rescue investigated a hazardous material situation in Greenwood Village Thursday afternoon after three office workers were exposed to an unknown powder while moving boxes.

The three workers who were moving boxes reported burning eyes and throats after the encountering the substance, which was between boxes, fire rescue spokesman Eric Hurst said. Investigators later determined that it was a small amount of potassium perchlorate, which is a common oxidizer used in fireworks.

The three started recovering after walking outside into fresh air, Hurst said. One was transported to the hospital as a precaution.

The call came in around 1:45 p.m. on Thursday, Hurst said. One area of the office building, which is located on South Quebec Street north of East Crestline Avenue, has been evacuated. The rest of the building is still operating.

Hurst said investigators determined that the situation was not suspicious. The substance was being cleaned up and disposed of.

South Metro Firefighters are investigating a possible hazardous material situation at 5340 S. Quebec St. in Greenwood Village. A substance inside created burning eyes & throats in 3 people who all feel ok now in fresh air. No threat to the surrounding area. Updates to follow. pic.twitter.com/hqUDoJmzNN

— SouthMetroFireRescue (@SouthMetroPIO) April 12, 2018

Source Article